Thursday 13 October 2011

Devastated then Rejuvenated

24.2 Miles (684.2 Total)

Oct 4th - 4.7 (A nice trot around Acton and Shepherd's Bush) 

Oct 5th - 1.4 (No choice but for a quick 10 minute run as the missus has run off to Dublin and left me on my own with the nippers!  Thanks to our neighbour who took care of the kids while I went out)
Oct 6th - 9th - 0.0 (Disaster, see below!) 
Oct 10th - 3.4 (Fitness test with the missus to see how recovered I was)
Oct 11th - 7.5 (Unreal, 5 days after thinking the challenge was over I breezed this in pretty quick time for me with 8.45 minute mile average)
Oct 12th - 7.2  (A little sore towards the end of this run, was helped by the fact that I had a running partner who was busy running her longest run ever, good work Jo!)

More than anything I was pleasantly surprised that in the past week a few people have asked where the blog is!  I had no idea that my ramblings had such an effect on other people's working days.  It must be the opportunity at laughing at a fat man trying to complete 1,000 miles in a year.

The last time I wrote I was starting a run streak.  I tried this in June and then got injured but at least I got to day 20 that time, this time I only made it to 9 days!  I am clearly not built for run streaks!  This time the issue was related to my favourite right ankle, but this time quickly referred to my heel and the sole of my foot.  I was in agony on the Thursday morning to the point that I was struggling even to walk, I really thought that I had done some serious damage and that the 1000 miles was off.

Instead of trying to run through it I decided to use my brain for a change and rest.  Total exercise rest for 4 days, on the Sunday (Day 4) I really was itching to go but I forced myself to wait for the Monday.  After a little fitness test with Mrs LB on Monday the last 2 days have been great runs and all of a sudden I am back on track.

I do though have to address the problem that I cannot run everyday, some people can do it but it really doesn't work for me.  Therefore I have to change my plans with 316 miles and 11 weeks to go to the end of the year.  The weekly plan now is pretty simple:
  • 2 days rest a week
  • 1 small run with Mrs LB
  • 3 medium length runs
  • 1 long run
I will see how we go, I am currently planning rest today and then 12 miles tomorrow morning.  This will put me 28 miles behind my target to finish by Christmas Eve but that can be sorted pretty quickly.

Onwards and upwards!

LBx

No comments:

Post a Comment