Tuesday 13 December 2011

The Final Countdown - Part 2

46.4 Miles (946.5 Total)

In many ways this last week has been the hardest yet.  The mileage has been brutal, my legs are really beginning to hate me and of course I have no choice but to press on.  The plan remains to finish a week early on Christmas Eve.  At least if I decide to run between Christmas and New Year then it will be because I want to rather than feeling I have to!


I have had a lot of great support from friends in the ether on Twitter and from the missus & family.  A lot of motivation can be gained from telling a lot of people what you are planning to do so that you feel terrible if you let them down.  A great example was this morning's brutal 15 miles (see below), you mention it on Twitter and it feels a bit like a contract.  Despite feeling less than up for it this morning I just HAD to get the job done.


Currently I am 3 miles ahead of schedule to finish on Christmas Eve, so the planned half marathon on CE is now down to 10 miles.  I hope to reduce it even more in the next few days.  Of course if I get injured (everything seems alright at the mo or we get a shit load of snow) then I have an extra week in the bank, but I do not plan to use it.  If I have proved anything this year it is if I say I am going to do something then I will do it!  It might take bloody ages and I might do a lot of moaning about it (I am a bloke after all!) but I will do it!


Dec 8th - 8.0
Quite pleased with this run because it was the morning after an hour of footie on the Wednesday night, and I normally can't move at all on Thursdays as a result.  The middle 4 miles were into a gale so pretty happy really.
Dec 9th- 6.2
Having told a friend I would run with him on Friday morning, I really wouldn't have gone if he bailed on me.  As it is he didn't and another 10K was racked up anyway!
Dec 10th- 11.5
An early one at 6am on Saturday in the dark.  Had to get this one done early as my brother got married last weekend.  It was a gorgeous day with LB and mini LB throwing out some majestic shapes on the dance floor!  The run itself was pretty good although it was a bitterly cold morning
Dec 12th- 5.7
A nice trot down to the river and back with Mrs LB.  This was her longest run yet and she is doing brilliantly although she didn't look too happy at the end of it!  Well done gorgeous I am very proud!
Dec 13th - 15.0
This was an absolute killer!  I didn't do my usual Tuesday 6am job because little Mini-LB is 4 today, bless her.  So we had a present opening session first thing.  As there is not a lot of work about at the minute I had the time to go for a long effort at 8am.  6 of the last 7 miles were into a gale and on the towpath that was covered in water and mud.  In short it was brutal and I must admit to being a little down at the end of it.  I don't want to sound like a drama queen but I have to admit to feeling pretty broken now but I am so close!


Anyway just 53 miles to go!


Have a good one
LBX

6 comments:

  1. Great effort LB. A really tough week but you are now ahead of where you need to be and are in a great position to make your 1000 mile target.

    I agree with your comments about speaking to people (either in real life or on-line) forming some kind of contract. It has definitely helped me both during marathon training and on race day.

    It sounds like your body is holding together, so you've just got to stay positive and you'll do it! @runrforlife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jamie - as I've said before you are a real trooper. Looking forward to finding out what gruelling task you are setting yourself for next year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. just 2 marathons jamie
    sure you can knock those off

    well done

    jerome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done - there's so little left now, compared to what you HAVE done, so hang on in there!

    And you've shown yourself what you can do when you take on a huge challenge!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shapes you were throwing on the dancefloor at my wedding were all the more impressive given your 11.5 miler on the morning of 10th December - nice work! Keep it up!
    Biffa

    ReplyDelete