Thursday 17 March 2011

T-31 - 1 Month to Go

0 Miles (342.3 Total) - 2011 - 219.3 miles
0 Minutes (52 Hours 21 Minutes)


DONATE: www.justgiving.com/jamie-ross
FOLLOW LARDY BOY ON TWITTER: @Rooster1972.  Please follow me on Twitter for additional Lardy Boy updates



Right then.  1 month today is the day, the big one.  I remember when I did the London Marathon that the last month was unbearable, I just wanted it over.  This time is different though, with the 1,000 mile target I am just considering it the longest training run I will do and I feel strangely calm!


Anyway there is a bit of a Twitter community building which is great.  I have decided to write down a list of things for first timers to watch out for.  Clearly this is not for those seasoned pros, but I remember being very nervous on race day mainly because I didn't know what to expect.  If this blog helps 1 person feel better about things then I will be happy. 


Hopefully those who aren't running will still get something out of it, the day itself is an amazing experience, one to be savoured.  So if you are not running please read anyway because I think it gives an insight to the day.


PRE-RACE DAY
The collection of race numbers etc at Excel is a bit of a pain but go sooner if you are a Londoner rather than later.  It is very busy there on the Friday / Saturday


Don't change your plans, clothes, running shoes or anything else just because you read it somewhere.  Trust the training you have done and the gear you have done it in.  Nothing in the last 2 weeks helps you on the day.  So taper no last minute cramming, it is not an exam!


RACE DAY
1.  Get there early but not too early.  Apart from toilets and getting your kit bag on the trailers there is not a lot to do.


2. You get given a bag with string pulls on to pack your gear in.  This gets taken to the finish for you to collect.  Carry everything in a more comfortable sports bag and then transfer everything into the string pull bag (including your sports bag) before loading onto the trailers.  Much more comfortable that lugging the string pull bag around London on your way to Greenwich.


3.  Just because there are 1,000s of people there should not stop your normal routine.  Take in all the water you normally do and stretches etc.  Don't just stare at everything in awe, it is amazing but you are there to do a job!


4.  Drugs! I took an Immodium, that's all I'll say on this one!  The queues at the various toilets at the start and at mile 2/3 were horrendous!


5.  If it is cold take an old top that you don't mind losing.  You can wear it up to the start then get rid of it.  Better that than being cold at the start.


6.  Trust your target time, and go in the right pen.  Don't be tempted to put yourself forwards because you will get sucked along too fast at the start.  Also don't put yourself too far back or you will get stuck in traffic.


7.  The pace setters are your friend, use them but still check you are happy with the pace.  Just because the sign says he/she is a 4h 30min pacer doesn't mean that they are going to stick to it!


8.  The race starts at Mile 16 not Mile 1.  Take it steady at the start.


9.  This is an important one.  At Cutty Sark (although not running around it this year) and Tower Bridge the crowds are awesome.  The noise I remember was astounding.  The problem is you get a big adrenalin rush, then you feel very low straight after.  I am not ashamed to admit I was in tears crossing Tower Bridge and I was not even half way!


10.  Think of half way as one third way.  Miles 18 - 24 for me were terrible, but hang in there.


11.  There is no such thing as too much Vasoline!


12.  Jelly Babies should be illegal because they are soooo good from Mile 16!  Without them I would not have finished last time I am sure of it!


13. There is no better personal achievement (apart from kids etc!) than finishing so make sure you do.  Don't go off too hard then have to stop, finish first, time second!


14.  Enjoy the day.  I didn't take it all in last time, I intend to this time


This weekend I am probably going for one more 20 miler, till then....


LB
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment