Monday 18 April 2011

Marathon Lard

26.2 Miles 2011 - 332.5 miles
272 Minutes (70 Hours 16 Minutes)


DONATE: www.justgiving.com/jamie-ross
FOLLOW LARDY BOY ON TWITTER: @LardyBoy2011.  Please follow me on Twitter for additional Lardy Boy updates



Well I did it, just!


I won't bore you all with too many details but if you are interested in my split times etc then click here and then click on 2011 Race results.  Then search on my running number 17,245.


As I mentioned above I won't go into too much detail but a massive thanks to so many people that came along to cheer me on.  It genuinely makes a huge difference when there are people out to watch you and spur you on.  A particular mention has to go out to Georgina Brooks (Grand Mother of Enid) who screamed 'GO ON PECKER!' (yet another nickname) at Mile 21.  Brilliant, hilarious and inspirational all at once.


The Lardy Boy branding worked wonders with literally hundreds of shouts of my name helping me along.  Especially along the Embankment and Birdcage Walk, it was almost every 20 metres, and believe me I needed it by then. 


Overall I am ok with my time.  Once the sun came out (more below) 4 hours was never on the cards.  I then went for 4hrs 15, then realigned to 4hrs 30.  So to miss that by 2 minutes is a little disappointing but I will get over it.  My favourite moment was having my little lad tell me how proud he was of me when we met up at Piccadilly Circus after I had finished.  Bless him.


A big shout also to all my Twitter friends who I have shared the training experience with.  They have been awesome, I even had the pleasure of meeting in person @MarathonGorilla at the Expo and @jonesyrunner an hour before the start.  Good on all those twitttrers for their runs yesterday.


The only other thing I want to discuss is the weather.  I was NOT impressed by the temperatures yesterday.  My god I thought I was going to explode in the second half of the race.  Thankfully I took on enough fluids not to overheat, I did see some very unfortunate sights, I hope they are all recovered and ok today.  I didn't really feel I hit the wall, thanks to all the carbs so I am really happy about that.


The plan is to rest a little then have a jog with the missus on Wednesday, and then get out for a 6 miler or so next Saturday.  As for races the only one I am signed up for is the BUPA 10k in late May but I am planning some Half Marathons at some point.  Only 670 miles to go!


As for the blog I would like to keep doing it with maybe a weekly mileage update etc.  I know there are a fair few of you reading it.  Hopefully I will keep it interesting enough for you to carry on doing so.


For now I have decided I am not doing another marathon but the ballot for London 2012 opens in a week so maybe.......


Have a great week
LBX

No comments:

Post a Comment