Tuesday 2 November 2010

165 Days to Go

3.3 Miles (3.3 Total)
32 Minutes (32 Minutes)
15st 4lb (Ahem....!)

Nice jog to start, don't want to over do it now do I.....

In 2006 I ran the London Marathon in 4hrs:45mins.  When I trained for it, I became a bit of a bore (I know).  It became all consuming and as a result I talked and thought about little else.  I am hopeful that by writing a blog this time will enable those that are interested to enjoy my pain and those that aren't will not have to listen to my witterings.

I will make the blogs short, sweet, light-hearted and truthful but I would like to indulge myself a little with this first one, if you don't mind.

ABOUT ME
I realise that most people reading this will know me but who know I might get a cult-following (!).  I am 38 years old, very happily married with 2 lovely kids.  I like a drink.  I like to cook (and eat).  I am not thin (not too lardy though....).  I am a keen golfer, retired footballer.  I am a former corporate citizen who recently set out on the road of self-employment (and is loving it),  I am not out of shape nor very fit.  In short I am Billy-Average!  As a former member of a long-distance cycling trio (you know who you are) sometimes ordinary people can do extra-ordinary things!  Therefore it is time to put the trainers back on

HOW IT WILL WORK
Daily updates from myself as to how far I have run and how slowly (see above) with a running total in brackets.  In addition I will provide those significantly thinner that me the joy of realising what a lard arse I am by publishing weight updates now and then.  I plan on running 5 days a week with 1 session of yoga (I know, hilarious) and 1 rest day each week.  Over the weeks the mileage will ramp up as the mornings get darker, my language more fruity and the blog more of an addiction (for me at least)

WHY THE LONDON MARATHON
I never thought I could run it once let alone consider doing it again.  I was always really impressed when people told me they had run a marathon so thought I would have a crack.

WHO FOR?
Along the way I will keep you updated on my fund-raising exploits.  I am running this time for the Cri Du Chat Syndrome Support Group (http://www.criduchat.org.uk/).  As you will read on the website this is a relatively rare chromosome disorder that sadly affected great friends of mine who had a daughter with the illness last year. She is doing well but in the coming months and years, she and her parents will rely on the support group.  So I want to raise as much cash as I can for them! As with many smaller charities fund-raising is always the major issue, having managed to get into the Marathon via the ballot I am able to donate 100% of any funds raised to them.  To make a donation please click the link below:


Any donations received will be much appreciated.  I recognise that not all people are happy donating on-line so if you would rather drop me cash or a cheque drop me an email.  Also whilst the start line is a long way away the earlier you give the more 'value' you will get in the coming weeks!

HOW ELSE CAN YOU HELP ME?
I will be badgering friends on Facebook, Twitter etc about the blog in the hope that I will get lots of comments on the blog to provide me with abuse and inspiration for the months ahead.

My postings will be significantly shorter on a daily basis, I promise, with the odd rant.

Cheers
Lardy Boy (LB)
xxx

1 comment: